Wednesday 10 December 2008

Watching films

Arriving 10mins late to Andrews’s lesson, I noticed the class weren’t in the room, so I went and checked the editing room to see if they were there, and they were. Gladly I didn’t miss anything, so I sat down and joined the class. The motive for the day was to watch the film each group produced. The first film we saw was my group’s film, I was impressed by the way the film came out because of the editing we done to the film, it made it flow which made it look professional. After watching each group’s film, we had to evaluate each other’s work, by commenting on how well the groups did and what they can improve on next time. I enjoyed watching all the groups film because each group came up with different ideas which allowed us to see different types of filming by another person’s point of view.
After watching the films Andrew told the class to go back to the class room. Andrew then wrote the question 'what is a thriller?' on the board, he asked everyone to brainstorm what we thought was a thriller. after brainstorming our own ideas, Andrew then asked for feedbacks on what the class thought was a thriller, they came up with several things such as a thriller creates tension, a thriller is often mysterious and has narrow escapes. Also coming up with examples of a thriller like no country for old me, alien, the hills have eyes and many more. We also came up with different thriller genre like a supernatural thriller, Sci-Fi thriller, and physiological thriller. Furthermore after the class discussion, Andrew told the class we would be watching the shinning which is a thriller movie. I wasn’t to sure about the film because I’ve not heard of it. Andrew handed out a worksheet and asked the class to fill in the boxes, by writing 3 different examples, in the film which brought suspense to the audience.
Watching the film until the end of the lesson, I found the film scary because it made me jump; I believe the use of sound created tension and suspense. however I found the film, frustrating at times because the characters were often making the wrong decision, for example after the man decided to stop axing the bathroom door which the woman was in and the man decided to chase the little boy instead, the woman decided to stay in the room and not help her son. At this point I was shouting at the woman to run and find her son.
The film finished just on time for lunch, Andrew gave the class another sheet to read for homework.

No comments: